1. What documents are needed to apply for a Residential Apartment?

Applying for an apartment with SST Investments is quick and easy with our online application system. The last page of the online application asks you to attach the following documents- credit report with your credit history and credit score, proof of income in the form of 2 most recent pay stubs or an offer letter and a state issued photo id.

2. How do I run my credit report?

We prefer a credit report from creditkarma.com because it is free, easy to read and does not show up on your credit report. We will also accept credit reports issued from on of the three credit reporting agencies but they do need to include the credit score and the credit history. If you are new to the country and do not have any credit established, please send us a screenshot that states the credit agency could not find you. Click here for instructions on how to obtain your credit report from creditkarma.com.

3. Do I need to submit my pay stubs AND my offer letter?

No. We only need your 2 most recent pay stubs or your offer letter.

4. What forms of photo id do you accept?

Driver’s License, State Issued ID card, or Passport.

5. How do I secure the apartment from being leased to another party during the application process?

Please submit a signed lease and the security deposit. If we do not have both of these then we will leave the apartment on the market and you run the risk of the apartment being leased by another person. We do not counter sign the lease until all application materials have been approved.


1. I have signed the lease and submitted the security deposit. How do I get my keys?

A few days before your move in date you will receive a move in letter detailing next steps for your apartment and alerting you that your keys are ready for pick-up. Keys can be picked up Monday-Friday from 9am-5pm at the main office located at 1256 Howard Street, San Francisco, CA 94103. If you are not available at that time to pick up your keys, please contact pm@atlasbayarea.com for alternate arrangements.

2. When is my rent due?

Rent is due when you pick up your keys. Rent is prorated in accordance with your move in date. After you have moved in, rent is due on the 1st of the month. If you have an questions or concerns about your rent, please email pm@atlasbayarea.com and someone will respond to you.

3. How do I pay my rent?

There are several options available for paying your rent. The easiest and preferred method is to submit your rent payment through the Online Payment Portal. Please email pm@atlasbayarea.com to request access. You can also pay your rent using a personal check or cashier’s check from the account of one leaseholder, a money order or cash. Please Note: SST Investments is not responsible for any form of payment lost in the mail.

4. Can I pay my rent using a credit card or third party check like RadPad or Nerdwallet?

Unfortunately we cannot accept credit card payments or third party checks.

6. I logged into the online payment portal and the charge is for the rent for the entire apartment but I only pay a portion of that and my roommates pay the rest. Do I have to pay the full amount charged?

The Online Payment Portal account is set up in the names of all leaseholders and will only list the charge for the entire apartment and not individual occupants. Each person can submit their individual payment for their portion of the rent.

7. What do I do if something breaks in my apartment?

All maintenance requests should be submitted to pm@atlasbayarea.com. We recommend being as detailed as possible with your request and include pictures. We have a team of experts available for your repair. Please note: Any costs related to repairing damage due to tenant misconduct will be passed through to the leaseholders.

9. I have locked myself out of my apartment. What should I do?

If you find yourself in the situation that you have locked yourself out of your apartment, you can pick up a replacement key from our main office Monday-Friday from 9am to 5pm. Please contact the office at pm@atlasbayarea.com 2 hours before picking up a key so we have time to generate a new one. SST Investments does not provide after hours lock out service. If you do find yourself in that situation then you should contact a certified locksmith.


1. How much notice do I need to give if I am going to vacate my apartment?

Most of our leases ask for 30 days notice to vacate the unit. Please refer to your lease for the exact procedure.

2. When does the move out inspection take place?

Official move out inspections happen after the unit has been vacated and the keys have been returned to our main office located at 1256 Howard Street, San Francisco, CA 94103. If you would like a complimentary pre move out inspection with a member of our team, please email pm@atlasbayarea.com. Pre move out inspections are generally 2 weeks before you vacate the apartment and a member of our team will point out any damage you may be charged for if it is not repaired before you vacate.

3. How long does it take for me to receive my security deposit?

Security deposits and an invoice detailing any charges are mailed to the forwarding address within 21 days of the unit being vacated. 


The reasons for and benefits of RUBS

Studies have shown that residents who are billed back for utilities are more likely to use fewer resources, will naturally conserve more water, promptly report leaks and avoid additional Recology fees or municipal fines by properly sorting garbage from recycling and compost.  Using a fixed ratio, RUBS (Ratio Utility Billing System), for the utility billing allocation is very important because there are many apartment buildings that are not set up to be sub-metered or offer individual refuse bins. RUBS is essentially a pre-defined formula that articulates how the utility bills will be allocated across the property.

Multifamily property is a candidate for RUBS

If a multi-family property is “master-metered,” meaning there is a single utility meter for recording usage of multiple residential units, for a utility and the landlord currently pays these expenses, the landlord may use a RUBS program.

RUBS Calculation Formula

The allocation for a property’s utilities are set up on the main property page. The allocation is made up of three elements: (1) Owner Contribution: the Owner will cover the costs associated with vacant units.  (2) Tenant Contribution: the percentage of the utility expense paid by all tenants combined.  (3) Allocation: the method used to determine an individual unit’s share of the utility bill(s).  Default for water/sewer and trash will be the greater of bedroom count or confirmed occupants relative to the total for the building.


When a tenant moves out of a unit during a billing cycle, the tenant will not be billed, and that portion of the allocation will be passed to the owner.  When a tenant moves in to a unit during a billing cycle, the tenant will be charged a prorated amount equal to the number of days they occupied the unit during the billing cycle. The portion of the allocation during the period the unit was unoccupied is passed to the owner.


If a tenant has a credit or prepayment on their account, it will be automatically applied to the utility bill when it’s posted unless it’s set to apply to a specific GL account.

Charge Details

The description of the charge that appears on the Tenant Statement will show the Utility Type and the consumption period.